E.g., 07/2018
E.g., 07/2018
April 18, 2018 | Adiaha I.A. Spinks-Franklin, MD
"Color Blind" | Texas Children's Hospital

One of my biggest pet peeves is when one of my colleagues says something along the lines of: “You know, Adiaha, I just don’t see color.” At that moment, I have a choice to either say nothing or delve further into my colleague’s apparent visual impairment. If I choose to speak, my response can come in different forms, such as “when is the last time you saw an eye doctor?” or “I guess you don’t see gender, either.” Generally, the colleague will appear befuddled by either response.

In our so-called “post-racial” society, it has become fashionable for some to claim they “don’t see color,” which is often quickly followed by an explanation...

April 17, 2018 | Jana Post, mother of patient
Whit Post | Texas Children's Hospital

When I watch my son successfully compete as a Level 6, Division 1 gymnast, I have to pinch myself to remember it’s real. It doesn’t take much for me to recall where we were at 11 years ago, when I was sitting in a hospital room just around the 24-week-mark of my pregnancy with twins. That day was filled with so much fear, anxiety and waiting, along with the many weeks to follow. “Twin B has a 99 percent chance of dying in-utero or during delivery,” said our high-risk obstetrician. “Within the 1 percent chance of survival, his quality of life will be minimal.” My husband and I melted into a puddle of helplessness.

The next 10 weeks...

April 16, 2018 | Mary Frances Musso, DO
Sleep-Disordered Breathing | Texas Children's Hospital

Children with sleep-disordered breathing will commonly snore and have repeated episodes of under-breathing (hypopnea) and not breathing at all (apnea) during sleep. Parents might notice gasping or snorting, restless sleep, frequent nighttime awakenings, teeth grinding, bedwetting and abnormal sleep positions. These disturbances can lead to hyperactivity or increased feeling of being tired during the day (hypersomnolence). Untreated sleep-disordered breathing can have long term consequences including poor academic performance, behavioral issues, growth retardation and high blood pressure.

If you’re not sure your child is obstructing...

April 16, 2018 | Maria Diaz, MS, RDN
Cost-Friendly Nutrition | Texas Children's Hospital

When you’re shopping for groceries with healthy eating for the family in mind, what should you be aiming for? Ideally, we want our plates to be filled to a quarter with whole grains, a quarter with protein - such as meats, fish and eggs, and filled half with fruit and vegetables. However, it can be tricky to shop for nutritious food while staying under budget, so I wanted to share a handful of tips to minimize costs for your next grocery run:

  1. Plan your meals. Write down how many meals you will eat at home along with the food ingredients required, including lunches and snacks if necessary. Then, make a list of the...
April 13, 2018 | Judie Kochenower, mother of patient
Claire Kochenower | Texas Children's Hospital

My daughter, Claire, was regularly complaining of headaches. Claire’s neurologist ordered an MRI in early December 2016, which was performed just two days following her sixth birthday. Immediately following the MRI, our medical team wanted to speak with us even before we left. “Oh no,” I thought – in my experience, I never had to speak with the doctor right after an MRI test.

They found something – a tumor. The next day, Claire had surgery to remove the tumor, which ended up being medulloblastoma, a type of brain cancer. Those words were life-changing.

Claire spent eight days on the neurosurgery floor, and then another three...